Business Title: Compensation Manager
Enterprise Title: HR Manager
Reports to: VP, Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
Baltimore Maryland, Chandler Arizona, or US Remote in some states
The HR team’s mission is to help people in our organization find a path to love their work and drive strong results. The compensation manager plans, develops, and implements new and revised compensation programs, policies, and procedures to align with the company's goals and competitive practices. This position is also responsible for ensuring that company compensation programs are consistently administered in compliance with internal policies and government regulations. The compensation manager is a trusted member of the team responsible for providing best in class HR services to the organization. Responsible for collecting and reporting HR metrics, identifying trends and providing recommendations for improvement or intervention. Works cohesively with all areas of the business while demonstrating HR and business acumen.
Does not have Financial Budget Responsibility
Individual Contributor (Does not have direct reports)
Decisions typically impact at division level
Interacts internal and externally with directors and above at enterprise level
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
CORE KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Manages the development, implementation, and administration of compensation programs.
- Monitors the effectiveness of existing compensation practices and recommends changes that are cost-effective and consistent with compensation trends and corporate objectives.
- Provides advice to corporate staff on pay decisions, policy interpretations, and job evaluations.
- Designs creative solutions to specific compensation-related programs and incentive plans (variable and fixed compensation models).
- Develops techniques for compiling, preparing, and presenting data.
- Oversees the participation in salary surveys and monitors salary survey data to ensure corporate compensation objectives are achieved.
- Manages market pricing activities including job matching, data analytics, and job pricing, including analysis of short and long-term incentive compensation practices and staffing trends.
- Collaborate with business leaders, HR centers of excellence (COE) and payroll to support and advise managers on compensation related activities such as strategic new hire offers, promotions, etc.
- Stay up to date on current compensation-related legislation to ensure compliance with applicable employment-related federal and state statutory requirements regarding employee pay
- Conduct ongoing research for improving effectiveness of compensation plans as it relates to market competitiveness to attract and retain employees.
- Identifies issues, challenges, or problems and recommended process improvements.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local compensation laws and regulations.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of information to include, but not limited to, conversations, documents, complaints, and investigations. Exercises sound judgment in handling or working with confidential data and situations.
- Performs other related duties as needed or assigned
- Knowledge of all federal, state, and local regulations and compliance requirements as well as HR policies and procedures related to employee compensation
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret and communicate data
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including Excel
- Excellent time management skills and ability to plan and set priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with all levels of employees and management
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills as well as interpersonal and coaching skills
- Able to work both on a team and independently to deliver results
- Exceptional listening skills and ability to relate to, influence, and coach employees
- Resilient and flexible, able to thrive in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- Ability to solve problems and learn business rules and processes
- Must be truthful and treat others with respect and empathy
- A hands-on, self-starter with a positive attitude and strong work ethic (loves their work)
- Demonstrated ability to handle information involving sensitivity and confidentiality using tact and diplomacy
- Ability to challenge processes and look to continuously improve our HR processes and the employee experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in business, human resources, or related field and six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in employee compensation
- Knowledge of laws and regulations as they apply to base compensation and incentive compensation programs, company policies, and operations.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) and certified compensation professional credentials preferred.
- Experience working and collaborating on projects with stakeholders from various teams
- Proven ability to maintain high ethical standards and exhibit extreme professionalism in dealing with sensitive issues
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and respond with the appropriate sense of urgency ensuring minimal distraction for employees
- Proficient in Microsoft; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams
- Experience in ADP, QuickBase, Salesforce, or other cloud-based platforms helpful
- Authorized to work on United States